Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Healthy Happy Birthday!!!

My little Frog turns 1 next week. He goes to a small home daycare near our home and the daycare provider plans to throw him a joint birthday party with another little girl who is a week older than he is. This is great, so kind of her but the problem is that our boy has never had cake. He's never had refined sugar or any processed food besides a small amount of cheese in his short life. Low Cash Papa and I really wanted his first taste of cake to come in our presence, preferably at the Frog's first birthday party. Our options are to ask the daycare lady to please refrain from giving him sweets, to give him cake in advance of the party so we could see his reaction in person, to send a healthy "cake" treat with him on his daycare birthday day, or to just let him eat cake at daycare.
My choice is to make a healthy option for him and send it with him for the celebration! So tonight I am at work perfecting a tasty and healthy baked treat for him. I found a recipe online and am tweaking it a bit. Tomorrow I'll taste test the finished product and see if it is birthday party worthy.
Here is my recipe so far:

Banana Carrot Cake
2/3 c. banana, mashed
1/2 c. grated carrot1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract3 lg. eggs
3/4 c. water
2 c.  flour (I use 1/3 whole wheat and 2/3 white flour)2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon


Cream together banana, butter, and vanilla, then add carrot. Whisk eggs together until very foamy. Mix water into banana mixture, add beaten eggs. Add other ingredients. Bake in 9x13 pan for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Tomorrow the finished product will be photographed and sampled, and the verdict will be in!! Will it be good enough for my boy????

No comments:

Post a Comment